Vegan. Gluten Free.
Photo by Heather Cox
"This recipe uses agar agar and nut milk instead of the usual cream and gelatin. Agar agar is derived from algae and gives desserts a "jelly like" consistency. You might not find it in your local supermarket but you can definitely order it on Amazon or ask your local health food store."
FOR THE PANNA COTTA
2 cups homemade cashew milk
2 tbsp brown rice syrup (you can add maple or honey here but be mindful that it might change the colour a little and there is coconut sugar in the compote which i find sweet enough)
2 tbsp agar agar
FOR THE COMPOTE
2 cups rhubarb (about 4 stems)
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2-4 tbsp water
1 tsp ginger
TO MAKE THE PANNA COTTA
- Throw all of the ingredients into a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 5 minutes or until the agar agar has dissolved
- Pour evenly into 2 ramekins and place in the fridge to set.
TO MAKE THE COMPOTE
- Throw all of the ingredients into a medium size saucepan and bring to the boil
- Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until soft
- Let cool and then transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge
- You can add a little lemon juice if you want it to last longer