Gluten free. Vegan.
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"One of my dad's favourite things to indulge in when he was sick was Iku's citrus sago cup. I used to buy it up in bulk from him, (many times buying the supermarket out of it!) and he would devour every single tub, licking them clean as he went! It always made me so happy when i could find something that was healthy that he actually enjoyed.
Tapioca pudding is generally made with milk, sugar and eggs. The usual delicious but not -so- good for you ingredients. This one uses a mix of nut and coconut milk, brown rice syrup instead of sugar and no eggs. And it is seriously delicious! Americans, if you can't find tapioca in your local supermarket, Amazon is the way to go as i've found that it is not so common here. Aussies, you should be able to find it anywhere. Enjoy!"
1/2 cup tapioca pearls
1 cup nut milk (i used homemade cashew)
1 can full fat coconut milk
pinch sea salt
2-4 tbsp brown rice syrup (you can use maple or honey here if you prefer it sweeter)
FOR THE JELLY
4 small oranges (2-3medium-large), peeled
2 lemons, peeled
1 tbsp agar agar
1 tbsp brown rice syrup
- Soak the tapioca pearls in the nut milk for about an hour
- When ready, add to a saucepan with the vanilla, brown rice syrup, coconut milk and salt
- Bring to a boil and then let simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn't burn
- Remove from heat and let cool
- While this is happening throw the oranges and lemons into a blender until "juiced", strain the pulp and then pour into a saucepan with the agar agar and brown rice syrup and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes until the agar agar is dissolved
- Evenly divide the tapioca pudding into 4 small jars or bowls
- Pour the agar agar mix on top and transfer to the fridge until set.