Gluten Free. Vegan.
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"A slight twist on the gluten free nut bread i posted a few weeks ago, this recipe is a great way to start your morning off if you prefer something sweet instead of savory. It's delicious served with fresh ricotta or if you prefer to stay dairy free i stumbled across this incredible almond milk ricotta at the supermarket the other day and it is well worth trying!"
1.5 cups buckwheat groats
1/2 cup dried apricots, roughly diced
1/2 cup medjool dates, pitted and roughly diced
1 cup raw nuts (i used a mix of almonds and pistachios)
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cardamom
2 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp psyllium husks
1 tsp sea salt
1.5 tbsp brown rice syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1.5 cups water
FOR THE COMPOTE
2 cups rhubarb (about 4 stems)
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2-4 tbsp water
1 tsp ginger
TO MAKE THE BREAD:
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C) and line a bread tin with baking paper
- Throw all of the ingredients into a large bowl and mix together, except for the fruit
- Transfer to your food processor for about 30 seconds and then back to the bowl
- Add the fruit, mix together and then pour into the bread tin
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes then remove the tin and bake directly on the oven rack for another 45
- Let cool and enjoy with a spread of compote and almond ricotta (yes, that's a thing!)
- Will store wrapped in the fridge for a week.
TO MAKE THE COMPOTE:
- Throw all of the ingredients into a medium size saucepan and bring to the boil
- Simmer on low for 15-20 minutes or until soft
- Let cool and then transfer to a jar and keep in the fridge. Will last about a week or if you add a little lemon juice, 2.