Gluten Free. Dairy Free. Contains Eggs.
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"Sugar. We all love it... and we all try our hardest not to eat it.
My philosophy around sugar is balance. I don't have sugar in my coffee or add it to anything else like salad dressings or nut milks. And i eat processed sugar very occasionally (i mean, if i'm in France i'm enjoying those pastries and macaroons!). I do eat it most days though. I have a small piece of fruit in my smoothie every morning and i always have an afternoon treat of some kind which might be a date with nut butter or a yummy (healthy) dessert i've made that day. But it's generally fruit sugar and personally, i believe that's ok.
While these cupcakes are made with coconut sugar (which is more nutritious that regular white sugar), it's still sugar. So try not to eat too many at once (the word there was TRY!). They are 100% gluten and dairy free though (except for the eggs) so they are WAY better than regular cupcakes. And honestly, life is worth living! As long as you are eating real, whole foods for the majority of the time then i say enjoy these little pleasures and don't beat yourself up about it."
INGREDIENTS: (makes 12)
1/2 cup raw cacao powder
juice and zest of 1 large orange
2 cups almond flour
pinch baking powder
1/2 cup coconut sugar (you could even try 1/4 cup if you don't like it too sweet)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp coconut sugar
2 tbsp super strong hot coffee
3/4 cup coconut cream
TO MAKE THE CUPCAKES:
- Preheat oven to 325 F (165C)
- Line a cupcake tray with 12 liners
- Throw the orange juice, zest and cacao powder into a bowl until mixed together.
- Then throw all of the ingredients, including the cacao mix into a high speed blender for about 10-15 seconds or until mixed.
- Pour into cupcake moulds.
- Bake in the oven for about 40-50 mins or until you can put a knife or skewer down the middle and pull it out clean.
- At this point, you can either pull them out of the oven and let them cool or (my favourite) cut them in half, drizzle some coconut cream on top and eat them warm. SO good!
TO MAKE THE COFFEE CREAM:
- Add the sugar and coffee to a small bowl and mix together until dissolved. Let cool.
- When cooled, add the coconut cream and beat together until smooth. I used electric beaters but you could also just use a fork or even a whisk.
- Transfer the mixture to the fridge for a little bit to harden up (or if you are eating the cupcakes warm, it doesn't matter so much)
- Spread the cream over the cupcakes and enjoy!