photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"These mushies are a go-to meal in our house. It was actually one of the first things my husband ever cooked for me (back in the courting days!) and i was very impressed. They are a great starter if you're having a dinner party or filling enough for a main meal if you make 2 (each) and beef them up by adding things like steamed broccoli or sautéed spinach on the side. If you're vegan you can skip the cheese and add fresh avocado instead. They are always better with a glass of red wine too..."
2 large portobello mushrooms
goats cheese (i used one that comes in a round container but any goats cheese will do)
2 big handfuls arugula + extra for serving
1/2 cup raw, shelled pistachios
pinch sea salt
1/4 cup lemon juice *option to use lime instead
1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
- Place the mushrooms on a baking tray and brush or drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with a little sea salt and transfer to the oven for about 30 minutes.
- While they are in the oven make the pesto by adding all of the ingredients to a food processor until they reach your desired consistency. Taste test and add whatever you think it needs.
- Pull the mushrooms out of the oven and add the cheese. Then throw them back in for another 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Serve warm over a bed of arugula with a drizzle of balsamic and eat immediately.