Gluten free, Vegetarian
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"Eggs remind me of my dad. On one of my last trips back to Australia, before he passed away, dad dragged me to one his favorite Aussie pubs because he loved their pickled eggs and he told me i just HAD to try them. I will never forget walking into that stale, old pub and watching dad make a b-line straight for the jar on the counter, i hadn't seen him walk that fast in a long time! Pickled eggs and a glass of iced cold beer and my dad was in heaven.
Now these eggs aren't pickled but they are just as delicious! Play around with how much lemon juice you add. I like mine super lemony but as always, it's up to your taste buds to decide!"
I N G R E D I E N T S: (serves 6 ppl at 2 halves each)
6 eggs : free range and organic
4- 6 tbsp humous
6 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp olive oil
pinch or 2 of sea salt
- Fill a medium sized pot with water and bring to the boil over high heat. Add the eggs and cook for about 10-12 minutes.
- While this is happening mix the humous, lemon juice, olive oil and salt together in a bowl.
- When ready, peel the eggs, slice them in half lengthways and scoop out the middles (the yellow bit). Add them to the bowl with the humous and mix together. Taste test and add extra lemon or salt to suit your taste buds.
- To serve, place the white part of the eggs middle side up on a serving platter and using a spoon, fill the holes evenly with the humous mixture.
- Top with a pinch of cayenne pepper and a microgreen if you have access to them. If not, you could try some chopped chives or even parsley. Let me know how you go!