Pescetarian. Gluten Free. Dairy Free.
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"I love curry but it can be really heavy sometimes so i like to play around with lighter versions. This is a sauceless curry so don't be freaked out if the fish ends up looking dry. It's not, it's delicious! You can mix up the raita by adding things like pineapple or mango, same with the chutney. Maybe try a spiced pear chutney or a pineapple, lime and cilantro version. As always, they are your taste buds so cook for you!"
INGREDIENTS: (serves 2)
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp+ cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp turmeric
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 cup water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large shallot, diced
1 tbsp yellow curry powder
1-2 tbsp lemon juice
1 pound halibut or flaky white fish
1/2 cup water
- Throw all of the sauce ingredients into a blender for about 2-3 minutes or until smooth.
- In a fry pan or wok, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the shallots and curry powder and sauté until soft (about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure they don't burn)
- Add the sauce and the 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Keeping it there for 3-5 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Add the fish and lemon juice and bring back to medium heat, cooking for about 7-10 minutes or until fish is cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately with brown rice (optional), chutney and raita.
4 tbsp full fat Greek yoghurt (to make it dairy free you could use coconut yoghurt or cream)
2-3 stems worth of mint leaves, finely diced
1/2 cucumber, peeled and finely diced
1/4- 1/2 jalepeno, finely diced
- Throw everything into a small bowl and mix together.
- Option to add things like cilantro, lime or lemon juice, shallots.
4 apples, cored and roughly chopped into small squares
2 tbsp+ lime juice
- In a medium size saucepan over low heat add the apples, raisins, lime juice and a little water.
- Stew for about 15-20 minutes or until soft.
- Let cool and enjoy with the above curry!