Dairy free, Gluten free, Vegan
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"Crumbles are such an easy and delicious dish that can be enjoyed in any season. I love eating them warm straight out of the oven with a dollop of coconut cream or greek yoghurt but they also keep really well in the fridge and are delicious cold for breakfast the next day!
You can use any seasonal fruit you like (I love peach crumble in the summer) and mix up the crumble by adding different nuts and spices. You can also keep it totally vegan by using coconut oil instead of butter. I actually made a version last night and left the butter and sugar out completely. It was just stewed apples topped with crushed walnuts and macadamias that i toasted with a little coconut. The apples were sweet enough for me and it tasted delish!"
INGREDIENTS: (serves about 6)
3 apples, cored and roughly chopped
3 pears, cored and roughly chopped
1" piece fresh ginger, grated (more if you're a fan of ginger!) You can also use ground ginger.
1 cup gluten free oats
1/2 cup pistachios
1/2 cup brown or coconut sugar
2 tbsp or butter or coconut oil, melted (butter is always a winner in a crumble!)
1 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Throw the apples, pears, ginger and a little water (about a 1/4 cup) into a large pot and bring to a boil on the stove. Cover and let simmer for about 15-20 minutes. OPTION to add a tbsp or 2 of coconut sugar, 1 tsp vanilla or honey in there too, if you're someone who likes it to be super sweet. Personally the apples are sweet enough for me.
- Add the oats, pistachios, cardamom and coconut sugar to a food processor and pulse until mixed.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl and add the melted coconut oil or butter and salt and mix well.
- When the apples and pears are ready, transfer to a 10 x 11" baking tray (or something similar), add the crumble on top and place in the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until browned on top.
- Serve warm with a full fat dollop of greek yoghurt or coconut cream.