Raw, Vegan, Gluten free
photos by Luisa Brimble
"Growing up as a kid in Australia, the Paddle Pop was a staple treat. But like most things, once i found out what was in them...
Dairy ingredients (reconstituted skim milk and/or reconstituted buttermilk, milk solids, cream), cane sugar, glucose syrup (from wheat), cocoa, gelatine, emulsifiers (471, soybean lecithin), flavours, colours (100, 120, 160b), malt extract (from barley), vegetable gum (401).
... i was really grossed out! What is "reconstituted milk" anyway? And i won't even go into the sugars, flavors and colours issue. It's no wonder so many adults and kids these days have allergies. We are not eating real food!
BUT this doesn't mean kids (or adults) have to miss out on their favorite ice cream. This 4 ingredient recipe is so simple to make and i promise you, the kids won't even know the difference..."
INGREDIENTS: (makes 4-6)
2 large bananas (3 small)
1 tbsp cacao powder
1 tin full fat coconut milk
option to add sweetener but i think the banana is generally sweet enough
- Throw everything into a blender until smooth.
- Pour into popsicle/ice block moulds and place in the freezer overnight. *OPTION to make it into "ice cream" instead by simply putting the mixture into a container and letting freeze.
- When ready, pull the moulds out of the freezer and let sit for a few minutes or until they're soft. Or run them under some warm water.
- Gently pull the ice blocks from the moulds and enjoy immediately!
- OPTIONS: add 1/2-1 avocado for extra nutrition or use nut milk instead of coconut. You could also add a dash of vanilla or even spices like cinnamon or chilli for a twist.