Raw. Vegan. Gluten Free.
photos by Luisa Brimble
"I mean, who doesn't like key lime pie? But who feels revoltingly sick after they have devoured a slice? (My hand is up!) The amount of sugar in those things is insane. So, i set out to make a relatively healthy version. I used dates for the base and a tiny bit of honey for the filling and nuts as these sugars are real, whole and MUCH better than the processed white stuff you would generally find in a dessert like this. BUT they are still sugars. So don't go too crazy and devour the whole tart at once... Or do and enjoy every single bite! I mean, who am i to judge? :) Best served with a dollop of coconut cream..."
2 cups raw macadamias (about 200gms)
7 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp+ lime juice and zest of 1/2-1 lime
1 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 3hrs
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup lime juice or juice of approximately 3-4 limes
zest of 1+ lime
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp manuka honey (optional- the base is very sweet plus the candied macadamias add more sweetness so it's up to you how much sweet you need! vegans- you can switch out for maple)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1 tbsp honey (vegans, switch out for maple or you could even try brown rice syrup)
1 tbsp coconut oil
TO MAKE THE NUTS:
- In a small saucepan, bring the oil and honey over medium heat until melted and starting to bubble.
- Add the nuts and stir them around until they are coated and the honey mix is starting to thicken and get "sticky"
- Set aside and let cool.
TO MAKE THE BASE:
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until relatively smooth.
- Spread/pat into tart tin of choice and place in the freezer.
TO MAKE THE TOP:
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on top of the base and return to the freezer until set.
- When ready to eat, let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften.
- Serve topped with hemp seeds, macadamias, lime zest and a dollop of coconut cream!