raw avocado lime tart with candied macadamias
Raw. Vegan. Gluten Free.
photos by Luisa Brimble
"I mean, who doesn't like key lime pie? But who feels revoltingly sick after they have devoured a slice? (My hand is up!) The amount of sugar in those things is insane. So, i set out to make a relatively healthy version. I used dates for the base and a tiny bit of honey for the filling and nuts as these sugars are real, whole and MUCH better than the processed white stuff you would generally find in a dessert like this. BUT they are still sugars. So don't go too crazy and devour the whole tart at once... Or do and enjoy every single bite! I mean, who am i to judge? :) Best served with a dollop of coconut cream..."
2 cups raw macadamias (about 200gms)
7 medjool dates, pitted
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp+ lime juice and zest of 1/2-1 lime
1 tbsp hemp seeds (optional)
1 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least 3hrs
1 cup full fat coconut milk
2 ripe avocados
1/2 cup lime juice or juice of approximately 3-4 limes
zest of 1+ lime
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp manuka honey (optional- the base is very sweet plus the candied macadamias add more sweetness so it's up to you how much sweet you need! vegans- you can switch out for maple)
pinch of sea salt
1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
1 tbsp honey (vegans, switch out for maple or you could even try brown rice syrup)
1 tbsp coconut oil
TO MAKE THE NUTS:
- In a small saucepan, bring the oil and honey over medium heat until melted and starting to bubble.
- Add the nuts and stir them around until they are coated and the honey mix is starting to thicken and get "sticky"
- Set aside and let cool.
TO MAKE THE BASE:
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until relatively smooth.
- Spread/pat into tart tin of choice and place in the freezer.
TO MAKE THE TOP:
- Throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Spread on top of the base and return to the freezer until set.
- When ready to eat, let sit at room temperature for 5 minutes to soften.
- Serve topped with hemp seeds, macadamias, lime zest and a dollop of coconut cream!