Vegan, Gluten free
photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"I am obsessed with the combination of orange and hazelnut at the moment. Every day i am dreaming of different ways to use these 2 ingredients!
You can play around a lot with this recipe by adding things like shredded coconut, use brown sugar or maple instead of coconut sugar or if you're feeling really naughty, butter instead of the coconut oil. I don't make my granola too sweet so if you feel like you need to add more sugar, go for it. Just remember though, once you add some fresh fruit on top that could be enough sweetness for one morning... "
1 cup gluten free oats
1 cup quinoa
1/2 cup raw hazelnuts
1/2 cup hazelnut meal
2 tbsp cacao powder
2 large oranges
pinch sea salt
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
1/2 cup coconut sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a small baking tray with paper and set aside
- Throw the hazelnuts into a large fry pan and toast over medium heat, being careful not to burn. When ready, let cool for about 5 minutes and then over the sink or some paper towel, rub them together with your hands, removing the outer layer/skin and then roughly chopping the nuts. (you can also use a food processor and pulse a few times)
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, hazelnut meal, quinoa, cacao powder, zest and juice of the 2 oranges, hazelnuts and salt
- In a small saucepan bring the coconut oil and coconut sugar to a boil, stirring until the oil has melted. The oil and the sugar will separate and the sugar becomes clumpy but don't worry, it's ok!
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and mix together. Making sure there are no crazy big chunks of the coconut sugar.
- Transfer to the baking tray, spreading evenly and then pop into the oven for about 20-30 minutes or until crunchy. Checking and "tossing" once or twice to make sure it doesn't burn.
- Serve with homemade almond or cashew milk and a sliced banana.