Vegan, Gluten free
recipe featured on The Chalkboard Mag | photos by Morgan Ione Yeager
"It's the time of year that we are craving warmer and more nourishing foods and soup is an easy way to hit both of those requirements. I generally make a bunch of it up and keep it in the freezer so on those lazy nights when i don't feel like cooking, all i have to do is heat it up on the stove. I served this soup as a starter at one of The Treehouse retreats recently and it was a huge hit. The sweet combo of cauliflower with pear and fennel with the crunchiness of the parsnip chips, inspired by my gorgeous friend Madeline, really hits the spot! "
I N G R E D I E N T S : (serves about 4)
2 tbsp + 1/2 cup olive oil
1 whole cauliflower, roughly chopped
1 fennel bulb, roughly chopped
3 pears, peeled and cored and roughly chopped
6 cups veggie stock
1 cup raw cashews
2-4 parsnips, peeled
salt + pepper to taste
TO MAKE THE PARSNIP CHIPS:
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel off "strips" of parsnip, rotating the parsnip as you go until you can no longer peel anymore.
- Set up a plate with a few pieces of paper towel on it by the cooktop.
- In a small saucepan add the 1/2 cup olive oil and bring to a boil.
- VERY CAREFULLY, add small handfuls of the parsnip strips to the oil, stirring gently, until light and slightly browned.
- Transfer to the plate with the paper towel and add a pinch of salt if desired.
- Repeat until all parsnips are done.
TO MAKE THE SOUP:
- Heat the 2tbsp of oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the cauliflower, fennel, pear and veggie stock and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and let simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until the cauliflower is completely soft.
- Transfer the soup to a high speed blender, adding the nuts and blending until smooth.
- When done, transfer back to the pot until ready to heat up and serve.
- Serve with parsnip chips, a drizzle of olive oil and cracked pepper.